PIZZA – your best dough EVER
THREE YEARS NOW, I have self studied to master artisan pizza, pretzels, and bagels.
THEN TODAY I GET THIS E-MAIL LINKED HERE
and a ton of pictures from my baking supplier King Arthur:
Note: Since the first posting I have also learned that when your dough is ready to form into pizzas, enough flour on the outside of the pizza is good to dry the surface just DO NOT FOLD MORE FLOUR INTO DOUGH. You want the light airy interior. However, if the dough is too sticky on the outside, the moisture evaporates into a crisp cracker crust. Delicious if that’s the goal! Also when the outside is still sticky, it will not release from the pizza paddle onto the pizza stone inside the hot oven. To prevent that, we are putting our pizzas on parchment paper and then, three minutes into bake time, reach long tongs into oven to quickly pull paper out from underneath partially baked crust; close door and continue the bake. Perfect!
- 250g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (approximately 2 cups + 1 tablespoon)
- 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2g granulated sugar (1/2 teaspoon)
- 8g salt (1 1/4 teaspoons)
- 185g lukewarm water (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon)
Mix the dry ingredients, then add the water. Stir until just combined and still sticky. Place in bowl onto a splash of flour and cover with plastic wrap for 24 hours at room temperature.
My first video you watched above (11-minutes) sums up the dough process. Then watch my second video below (3-minutes) how to ready dough to rest for another hour before forming dough into two “roundish” pizzas.
- 550° oven preheated for half hour so reaches full temperature
- After placing ready pizza in oven to bake, turn on broiler and time for 6-7 minutes. TURN BROILER OFF BETWEEN PIZZAS OR THE NEXT ONES WILL SCORCH
- To protect delicate toppings, I recommend topping pizza off with thin layer of shredded or thinly sliced low moisture cheese for that stretchy goodness. Otherwise, you may prebake pizzas for 4 minutes, then take out of oven to add toppings and return to oven for 3 more minutes bake time.
Look at you go! Welcome to the gourmet world where less is more because now everyone is fighting over the crust instead of the pepperoni (yuk)!
(Today’s toppings Pesto/Oven Dried Tomato Slices/Fresh Mozzarella/Tapenade)